Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Loss of a Loved One


Dealing with loss is never easy. They say that if something happens to you enough times, it get easier. Not in this case. 

I have been working for MidPen for going on 4 years now. I have forged some strong bonds with people, one of which with, Benjamin Arcangle. I didn't know him outside of work (which is a shame), but at work he was a character. Always laughing and smiling, even on his most frustrating days. I wish that I had gotten to know him outside of work. Because the things I learned about him today, were things that I would have loved to learn about him, coming from him

1. He was married and had been with his partner for 10 years. 
2. He lived in Hawaii.
3. He was great at playing the guitar and singing
4. He was part of a huge family, and was very family oriented.
5. He did Indonesian Traditional Dance and also studied theArts in Indonesia. 
6. He got his BA in History and Asian Art History (something like that).
7. He enjoyed being the host of family gatherings. 
8. He loved going on adventures. 

There is much more, but those are just a few things. He touched so many peoples lives. Pushing them to be better, sharing his knowledge, being a great companion and humanitarian. I will forever remember him. He has taught me to:

1. Don't take crap from anyone. 
2. Do it yourself, don't wait in things to go through it's normal flow. 
3. Take risks. 
4. Don't complain unless you have an idea of how to make it better. 
5. Laugh and smile thoughout your day, no matter what kind of day you are having. 
6. Spread love, kindness, and knowledge. 
7. Be passionate. 

I can't believe he is gone. I will miss him dearly, and he is certainly, one of a kind. 

So... The loss of someone is never easy. You will always miss them and always be reminded of them. Just live your life to the fullest, as that's what they would want us to do. They are watching over us, guiding us, protecting us. 

Death is Nothing at All

Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away to the next room.
I am I and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other, 
That, we still are.

Call me by my old familiar name.
Speak to me in the easy way
which you always used.
Put no difference into your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.

Laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me. Pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word
that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effect.
Without the trace of a shadow on it.

Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same that it ever was.
There is absolute unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight? 

I am but waiting for you.
For an interval.
Somewhere. Very near.
Just around the corner.

All is well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment